Best gifts for nurses to help her get a good night's sleep
Because after working 12+ hours straight, quiet time and good sleep is the only thing she really wants.
There are few things in healthcare that are indisputable. One: Sleep is critical for the functioning of our body. And Two: when healthcare providers are sleep deprived, they make mistakes and people get hurt.
So I take optimizing my sleep very, very seriously.
In fact, you'll often hear me make the argument that because we spend 1/3 of our life in bed, and less than 1/24 in our cars, I am totally fine with spending more on my bedroom, then I would on a car.
So many people do the opposite, and I think they are making a huge mistake. So here are all of the products that I personally use and recommend as gifts to help your favorite nurse optimize her sleep.
Best Eye Mask & Best Earplugs.
As nurses we are taught to utilize our resources, and because we are short on time we loathe having to do things twice, or redoing work that other people have done.
Fortunately for me, and this review, the folks at The Wirecutter which is my favorite product review site, have already done the legwork for the best sleep mask and ear plugs
The Nidra Sleep mask, has almost 4,000 reviews and a 4 out of 5 star rating. The thing that I like the most about this I'm asked is that the Deep cups allow your eyes to flutter while you sleep, so that your sleep won't get interrupted.
These plugs are The Wirecutter's pick for best earplugs. According to the reviews, these are the plugs of choice for airport workers, And if they are good enough for the people that need them for their daily job, then it's a safe bet that they are probably the best choice for nurses trying to sleep as well.
- If you use the eye mask and ear plug combo, I recommend utilizing something like a Fitbit Charge as a backup alarm, as the Fitbit will vibrate when your alarm goes off which helps mitigate the risk of you not seeing or hearing your alarm in the morning if you're using the mask and earplugs.
- Also, I love the Fitbit if you are waking up earlier than your significant other as a nurse, because she will be able to wake up and her partner won't be disrupted by the vibration which is great for both day-shift and night-shift nurses alike.
- This tea comes recommended by Tim Ferriss, who I reference all the time because like me, he is a relentless experimenter, and in this case he is also a tea fanatic.
- Therefore, his recommendation definitely hold some weight,. And with 197 customer reviews with a 4.5 out of 5 star rating, many others would be inclined to agree
Best Pajamas - Lunya
- I bought these pajamas for my wife as a birthday present, and she can't stop raving about them. Their customer service is excellent, and their product is even better.
- I'm not going to lie, their products are pricey. But again, we spend 1/3 of our life sleeping. And so does it make more sense to purchase one or two sets of pajamas that you use every night, or spend triple that on a dress that you only wear once?
- Find the most comfy sleepwear at Lunya.co
- Blackout curtains are essential for sleeping, whether or not your nurse works day shift or night shift, but they are critical if she works Night Shift as any light that hits her eyes while she's trying to sleep will disrupt her circadian rhythm.
- The folks at The Wirecutter wrote an in-depth review of blackout curtains spending 22 hours of research which you can read here. or you can take their word for it, and just purchase the Sebastian insulated Total Blackout Window Curtains and give them to a nurse in your life that desperately needs sleep.
- 25,845 reviews with 4.5 out 5 star avg. reviews! Need I say more?
- As we have established often in this article, I am a huge fan of things that have multiple utility functions, as well as things that have Lavender in them.
- That is why I recommend the URPOWER Essential oil diffuser plus humidifier.
- I use a diffuser like this, because I live in the Southwest United States where air can get very dry.
- If you are living in a more humid area, or you are an essential oil purest, then I recommend getting an All Glass nebulizing pure essential oil diffuser like the Nebulizing Pure Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser.
- This product is a little more pricey than the traditional diffuser, but the magic is that the nebulizing diffuser uses vibration to aerosolize the essential oil, ensuring that you only get the aroma that you want, free of any contaminants or plastic leaching.
- Of course my Essential Oil recommendation is lavender, where Doterra has been the gold standard forever.
- I specifically to use lavender because it helps calm me down after stressful days, but there are dozens of different essential oil flavors that you can purchase depending on your personal preference.
- Buy the 2-pack because if you are adding this oil to the diffuser every night, it gets used up fast.
- If you aren't willing to purchase a high-quality mattress, you can get most of the way there by purchasing a high quality foam mattress topper.
- Dreamfoam bedding has over 3,500 reviews and an average 4.4 out of 5 stars.
- At only $70, this is a much more affordable gift then my previous recommendation of spending as much as you would on a car as your mattress
Best Temperature Control Devices - Chilipad Cube and BedJet V2
Last but not least, the Temperature of her room has a dramatic impact on the quality of sleep that your nurse is going to get.
Even the best pillow and best mattress can't save her if the temperature is 100 degrees in the room, and then plummets to freezing temperatures in the middle of the night.
Fluctuating between High highs and low lows leads to tossing and turning and just generally unpleasant sleeping conditions. Here are two solutions for this problem that are cheaper than using your whole house or whole apartment thermostat to heat and cool room that you aren't even in.
- The ChiliPad Cube uses circulating water to keep the bed at the optimal temperature throughout the night.
- Important to note: the Chilipad only has 3.7 out of 5 stars which is lower than the rest of the products I featured today. The low ratings come from people complaining that the tubing is uncomfortable to lay on and loud fans.
- The fans won’t be an issue if you are using the earplugs mentioned, but the uncomfortable tubing may not be worth the temperature control.
- Instead of using water and tubing like the Chilipad...The BedJet V2 utilizes air that can be temperature regulated and automated for every hour of the night.
- With 673 reviews and an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars, customers love the customer support, relatively low volume of fans, and dual zone capability for people like me that have a partner that likes things insufferably cold.